The Women’s Super League Final will be contested by the familiar names of Ste Helens and Leeds Rhinos in two weeks’ time after a double header of contrasting semi-finals.

York scored first in the second semi at the Totally Wicked Stadium in St Helens when Olivia Wood crossed the Leeds line for a 4-0 lead on four minutes. Emma Hardy successfully kicked the conversion to give the City Knights a 6-0 score.

Eight minutes later Hardy turned ball carrier and cruised through the line to score in the corner, but this time she couldn’t kick the extras and Leeds trailed 10-0.

Leeds made sure they didn’t have things their own way though with a Hannah Butcher  kick to the corner where Tasha Gaines grounded the ball. But without a successful conversion, the score was now  10-4 to York.

After an arm-wrestle 20 minutes played largely in the middle third of the pitch it was Kelsey Gentles swooped on a loose pass-back after a York break upfield and dotted the ball down on the line.

Hardy couldn’t convert and York had a 10-point lead with 10 minutes of the half to go at 14-4 – which is where the score stayed until the hooter signalled the break.

It took 10 minutes of the second half for Leeds Captain Courtney Winfield-Hill to move the scoring racing down the line from half-way to touch down and convert her own try to narrow the gap at 14-10 to York.

Leeds levelled the scores at 14 apiece after adventurous play at the end of a set which seemed to be going nowhere, but two kicks and a chip over the top saw the ball end up with Winfield-Hill, who offloaded from the tackle and Leeds supporting players moved the ball to the left where it landed in the hands of Sophie Nuttal who had a simple dive over to score.

The captain couldn’t kick the conversion though and the game was tied up with just over 20 to go.

Nuttal then made it back-to-back tries when she beat the defence on the outside and cut back inside to score under the posts and put Leeds in front for the first time at 18-14 on 65 minutes.

At the second time of asking, Winfield-Hill’s conversion from in front made it 20-14.

But York struck back immediately when the Leeds defence melted away in front of Emma Hardy and she took here turn to score under the posts – but failed to convert despite giving herself the easiest of kicks.

When they got a penalty in front of the posts with less than 10 minutes to go Leeds seized the opportunity to kick and Winffield-Hill extended the lead to 22-18.

And although Leeds’ Sophie Robinson was held-up over the line in th last minutes, that’s where the game finished.

Leeds Rhinos Women:  Beevers, Gaines (T), Goldthorp, Robinson, Nutta (2T)l; Butcher, Winfield-Hill (T, 2G, P), l; Stavley, Hulme, Lockwood, Kerrigan, Frain, McCAllion. Replacements: Bennett, Hayward, Priim, Hornby.

York City Knights Ladies: Hetherington, Gentles (T), Renouf, Andrade, Hyde, Hnardy (G, 2T), Langan, Field, Peach, Hendry, Kershaw, Wood (T), Marshall. Replacements: Tiplady, Saderson, Stimpson, Clayton.

Referee: Ashley Moore

Half Time: 4-14.

Full Time: 22-18.

Score progression: 0-0, 0-4, 0-6, 0-10, 4-10, 4-14. Half Time. 10-14 , 14-14, 18-14, 20-14, 20-18, 22-18

Venue: Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens.


facebook sharing button
twitter sharing button
pinterest sharing button
email sharing button
sharethis sharing button

Posted by tb on Sun 26th Sep 2021 5:24 PM | Views : 6560 | Replies : 0 | BACK TO STORIES
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
Please Support RLFANS.COM

RLFANS Recent Posts