12th March 1910: Salford 12 Wigan 5
Posted by Bilko on October 01 2014 - 01:07

Extended News
Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match
Salford 12 Wigan 5 - Saturday 12th March 1910
Venue: The Willows, Salford
Competition: Challenge Cup Second Round


1. Jim Sharrock, 2. Joe Miller, 3. Lance Todd, 4. Bert Jenkins, 5. Jim Leytham, 6. Johnny Thomas, 7. Naddy Jones

WiganlForwards:l 8. Dick Ramsdale, 9. Dick Silcock, 10. Howell De Francis, 11. Charlie Seeling (Snr), 12. Tom Whittaker, 13. Joe Topping


Jim Leytham


Johnny Thomas 1


This was definitely the tie of the round with 2nd in the league table Salford meeting 3rd in the table Wigan at The Willows. Wigan had won both home and away league meetings so were actually the slight favourites but Salford found a way to win despite their half back Preston being absent. They had taken a 5-0 lead in just the 1st Minute and Wigan soon found themselves 7-0 down when a penalty goal was added on. Wigan though found a converted try from Jim Leytham that brought the score back down to 7-5 at the break. Wigan pushed to take the lead after the break but Salford found a try to go 12-5 ahead and Wigan couldn't dent that lead.

1909-1910 Challenge Cup Second Round Results

Saturday 12th March 1910
Batley 0 Hull 8
Halifax 21 St Helens 6
Huddersfield 3 Ebbw Vale 8
Hunslet 2 Wakefield Trinity 2
Leeds 13 Rochdale Hornets 3
Runcorn 3 Keighley 5
Salford 12 Wigan 5
Warrington 37 Millom 0

Wednesday 16th March 1910
Replay: Wakefield Trinity 2 Hunslet 5

1909-1910 Challenge Cup Quarter Final Results

Saturday 19th March 1910
Ebbw Vale 2 Salford 8 (Match Played at Salford)
Hull 13 Halifax 7
Keighley 4 Leeds 7
Warrington 7 Hunslet 0

1909-1910 Challenge Cup Semi Final Results

Saturday 2nd April 1910
Leeds 11 Warrington 10 (at Wheater's Field, Broughton)
Salford 6 Hull 20 (at Belle Vue, Wakefield)

1909-1910 Challenge Cup Final Result

Saturday 16th April 1910
Hull 7 Leeds 7 (at Fartown, Huddersfield)*

Monday 18th April 1910
Replay: Leeds 26 Hull 12 (at Fartown, Huddersfield)

*The first tie was delayed because neither side had reached the ground for the 3.30pm Kick Off due to problems on the railway line. The game eventually started at 4:20pm.