3rd April 1937: Wigan 9 Widnes 13
Posted by Bilko on May 06 2014 - 22:17

Extended News
Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match
Wigan 9 Widnes 13 - Saturday 3rd April 1937
Venue: Wilderspool, Warrington
Competition: Challenge Cup Semi Final
Kick Off: 3:30pm

WiganlBacks:l 1. Jim Sullivan, 2. Eddie Holder, 3. Gordon Innes, 4. Gwynne Davies, 5. Alf Ellaby, 6. Jack Garvey, 7. Hector Gee
WiganlForwards:l 8. George Banks, 9. Joe Golby, 10. Francis Gregory, 11. Harold Edwards, 12. George Harrison, 13. Charlie Seeling (Jnr)


Jack Garvey
WiganlGoals:l Jim Sullivan 3

WidneslBacks:l 1. Walter Bradley, 2. Frank Whyte, 3. Peter Topping, 4. Ken Barber, 5. Alf Gallimore, 6. Tommy Shannon, 7. Tommy McCue
WidneslForwards:l 8. Nat Silcock, 9. Jimmy Jones, 10. Alec Higgins, 11. Hugh McDowell, 12. Robert Roberts, 13. Harry Millington


Frank Whyte
WidneslGoals:l Peter Topping 5


"Wigan throw away the match" was a headline to describe this one with Wigan's forwards "badly outclassed". On a sunny day at Wilderspool in Warrington. Wigan were guilty of offering Widnes five penalty goals during the match. Widnes took the lead with a penalty in the 8th minute but a penalty try awarded to a badly obstructed Jack Garvey, converted by Jim Sullivan, made it 5-2 soon after. The goal kickers them exchanged penalties to leave the score at 7-4 to Wigan. Widnes responded with another penalty being added to by an unconverted try by Frank Whyte made it 9-7 but Sullivan levelled the scores with a penalty right on half time. The second half looked like Wigan would push on for the win but it was Widnes who prevailed with two further penalties being the only scores in the second half. 29,620 attended.

1936-1937 Challenge Cup Semi Final Results

Saturday 3rd April 1937
Keighley 0 Wakefield Trinity 0  (at Headingley, Leeds)
Wigan 9 Widnes 13 (at Wilderspool, Warrington)

Wednesday 7th April 1937
Replay: Wakefield Trinity 3 Keighley 5  (at Fartown, Huddersfield)

1936-1937 Challenge Cup Final Result

Saturday 8th April 1937
Keighley 5 Widnes 18  (at Wembley Stadium, London)