10th February 2001: St Helens 22 Wigan 8
Posted by cherryandwhite on October 21 2013 - 21:06

Extended News

Click: Last Derby - Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match - Click: Next Derby

St Helens v Wigan Warriors - Silk Cut Challenge Cup Round 4
Saturday 10th February 2001
at Knowsley Road

Match Report

Newly crowned World Club Challenge champions St Helens continued their winning ways by beating arch-rivals Wigan in the Silk Cut Challenge Cup fourth round.

A packed house at Knowsley Road watched in delight as St Helens withstood fierce Wigan pressure to run out 22-8 winners.

Captain Chris Joynt, who was the inspiration behind Saints' famous victory over Brisbane, again led by example.

After 12 minutes, Wigan-born Joynt shrugged off Gary Connolly's tackle to send St Helens winger Anthony Sullivan over for the game's first try.

Four minutes later, Joynt ran from dummy half to get past Terry Newton and jink his way over for the 100th try of his St Helens career.

Sean Long converted both tries after missing with an early penalty.

At 12-0 ahead, Saints looked in control but then took their foot off the pedal.

Wigan worked their way back into the game and were rewarded with a try after 20 minutes.

Half-back Adrian Lam's high kick allowed Connolly to pounce and skipper Andy Farrell's goal ate further into St Helens' lead.

Wigan had what would have been an equalising try disallowed when Saints forward Sonny Nickle got his boot to the ball to prevent Newton touching down Johns' grubber kick.

The tempo of the game was typical of a derby with both sides committed but the uncompromising pace took its toll on both sides.

Wigan lost full-back Kris Radlinski with a dead leg while Paul Sculthorpe was taken to hospital with a suspected fractured jaw and several loosened teeth.

Wigan substitute Harvey Howard, making his debut, was put on report by referee Stuart Cummings for a high tackle on Peter Shiels, who had received a cut head in the first half.

St Helens kicked off the second half 12-6 in front but then had to soak up heavy Wigan pressure.

Farrell kicked a penalty to bring the visitors within four points of St Helens.

But the pressure on Saints was eased when Paul Newlove stepped inside two tackles on the left wing and put through substitute Tim Jonkers, who put down in the corner.

Long kicked the conversion and Saints seemed to regain their hold on the match.

Victory was sealed with a sensational length-of-the-pitch try.

Sean Hoppe beat three men deep inside his own half and off-loaded to Long, who then threw an overhead pass to Anthony Stewart.

The Wigan-born player sprinted over in the right-hand corner to score.

Wigan coach Frank Endacott set his sights on success in Super League after his side's cup hopes were dashed.

"It's early days yet and it's certainly not the end of the world," he said. "We'll come back a lot stronger after this.

"There's another competition and we'll be looking forward to making the Grand Final and this time winning it."

Saints boss Millward paid tribute to new Australian forwards Fairleigh and Shiels.

"We had 17 very good players but the two Australians showed why we bought them," he said.

Team Sheets

- St Helens Position Wigan -
1 Paul Wellens Full Back Kris Radlinski 1
2 Sean Hoppe Winger Brett Dallas 2
3 Kevin Iro Centre Steve Renouf 3
4 Paul Newlove Centre Gary Connolly 4
5 Anthony Sullivan Winger Paul Johnson 15
20 Tommy Martyn Stand Off Matthew Johns 6
7 Sean Long Scrum Half Adrian Lam 7
12 Sonny Nickle Prop Terry O'Connor 8
9 Keiron Cunningham Hooker Terry Newton 9
10 David Fairleigh Prop Neil Cowie 10
11 Chris Joynt 2nd Row Dave Furner 14
8 Peter Shiels 2nd Row Denis Betts 12
13 Paul Sculthorpe L.Forward Andy Farrell 13
15 Tim Jonkers Substitute Mick Cassidy 11
17 Steve Hall Substitute Simon Haughton 16
18 John Stankevitch Substitute Wes Davies 18
19 Anthony Stewart Substitute Harvey Howard 20
- Ian Millward Coach Frank Endacott -

Score Sheet

St Helens 22 --- Wigan Warriors 8
Anthony Sullivan
Chris Joynt
Tim Jonkers
Anthony Stewart
--- Tries:
Gary Connolly

Sean Long 3
--- Goals:
Andy Farrell 2

Half Time

St Helens 12 Wigan 6


Stuart Cummings (Widnes)

Match Attendance



Live Coverage on BBC ONE during Grandstand.

2001 Challenge Cup Round 4 Results

Saturday 10th February 2001
St Helens 22 Wigan Warriors 10 (LIVE on BBC ONE)

Sunday 11th February 2001
Barrow Raiders 4 Halifax Blue Sox 56
Bradford Bulls 54 Widnes Vikings 10
Dewsbury Rams 4 Castleford Tigers 18
Doncaster Dragons 14 Sheffield Eagles 12
Huddersfield Giants 28 Featherstone Rovers 6
Keighley Cougars 20 Hull FC 34
Leigh Centurions 16 Salford City Reds 12 (LIVE on BBC TWO)
London Broncos 44 Batley Bulldogs 6
Swinton Lions 10 Leeds Rhinos 106
Warrington Wolves 48 Woolston Rovers 6
Workington Town 6 Wakefield Wildcats 56
York Wasps 8 Villeneuve 22

Tuesday 13th February 2001
Oldham Roughyeds 17 Hull Kingston Rovers 6
Rochdale Hornets 38 Hunslet Hawks 4

Wednesday 14th February 2001
Gateshead Thunder 0 Whitehaven 56

2001 Challenge Cup Round 5 Results

Saturday 24th February 2001
Castleford Tigers 10 Leeds Rhinos 42 (LIVE on BBC ONE)
Warrington Wolves 20 Leigh Centurions 10

Sunday 25th February 2001
Halifax Blue Sox 18 Bradford Bulls 68 (LIVE on BBC TWO)
Bradford Bulls 54 Widnes Vikings 10
Huddersfield Giants 38 Doncaster Dragons 24
Hull FC 30 London Broncos 20
Oldham Roughyeds 6 Wakefield Wildcats 26
Rochdale Hornets 19 Villeneuve 26
Whitehaven 22 St Helens 34

2001 Challenge Cup Quarter Final Results

Friday 9th March 2001
St Helens 54 Huddersfield Giants 16

Saturday 10th March 2001
Hull FC 18 Leeds Rhinos 20 (LIVE on BBC ONE)

Sunday 11th March 2001
Wakefield Wildcats 0 Bradford Bulls 39 (LIVE on BBC TWO)
Warrington Wolves 32 Villeneuve 0

2001 Challenge Cup Semi Final Results

Saturday 31st March 2001
St Helens 27 Leeds Rhinos 22 (at Wigan - LIVE on BBC ONE)

Sunday 1st April 2001
Warrington Wolves 22 Bradford Bulls 39 (at Huddersfield - LIVE on BBC TWO)

2001 Challenge Cup Final Result

Saturday 28th April 2001
St Helens 13 Bradford Bulls 8 (at Twickenham - LIVE on BBC ONE)