18th October 1992: St Helens 4 Wigan 5 (Lancashire Cup Final)
Posted by cherryandwhite on October 11 2013 - 18:11

Extended News
Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match - Click: Last Derby - Click: Next Derby

St Helens 4 Wigan 5 - Sunday 18th October 1992
Venue: Knowsley Road, St Helens
Competition: Greenalls Lancashire Cup Final
Kick Off: 3:00pm

WiganlBacks:l 1. Steve Hampson, 2. Jason Robinson, 3. Joe Lydon 4. Andrew Farrar, 5. Martin Offiah, 6. Frano Botica, 7. Shaun Edwards
WiganlForwards:l 8. Kelvin Skerrett, 9. Martin Dermott, 10. Andy Platt, 11. Denis Betts, 12. Billy McGinty, 13. Dean Bell

14. Neil Cowie (replaced Steve Hampson - 24th Minute), 15. Martin Crompton (replaced Martin Offiah - Half Time)
15. Martin Offiah (returned to replace Martin Crompton - 65th Minute)



WiganlGoals:l Frano Botica 2
WiganlDrops:l Frano Botica 1

StlHelenslBacks:l 1. Phil Veivers, 2. Alan Hunte, 3. Gary Connolly, 4. Jarrod McCracken, 5. Anthony Sullivan, 6. Tea Ropati, 7. Jonathan Griffiths
StlHelenslForwards:l 8. John Harrison, 9. Bernard Dwyer, 10. Kevin Ward, 11. Chris Joynt, 12. Sonny Nickle, 13. Shane Cooper

14. Gus O'Donnell (replaced Phil Veivers - 50th Minute), 15. Paul Forber (replaced John Harrison - 65th Minute)


StlHelenslGoals:l Bernard Dwyer 2

This was the only trophy that had alluded John Monie who was now in his fourth season at Wigan. Saints had started the season well and had a 100% record coming into the final with Wigan having lost just once by a point away at Hull. Great Britain coach Malcolm Reilly was fuming at the scheduling of this final with it being played a week before they faced Australia in the World Cup Final at Wembley. It wasn't known at the time but this would prove to be the last ever Lancashire Cup Final and it begun with Frano Botica drop goaling Wigan ahead 1-0 in the 12th minute and no one could of imagined how important that would prove 68 minutes later. He added two penalties later in the half for a 5-0 half time lead. Wigan had Shaun Edwards sin binned just before half time and in the second half two penalties from Bernard Dwyer brought that lead back down to 5-4, but Wigan hung on for the success despite Dean Bell and Sonny Nickle being sin binned with a minute to go.

Half Time:l

St Helens 0 Wigan 5




Stuart Cummings (Widnes)


St Helens won a toss for home advantage. This was the last Lancashire Cup Final held.