13th January 1996: St Helens 16 Wigan 25 (Regal Trophy Final)
Posted by cherryandwhite on October 10 2013 - 20:22

Extended News
Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match - Click: Last Derby - Click: Next Derby

St Helens 16 Wigan 25 - Saturday 13th January 1996
Venue: McAlpine Stadium, Huddersfield
Competition: Regal Trophy Final
Kick Off: 3:00pm


1. Gary Connolly, 2. Jason Robinson, 3. Va'aiga Tuigamala, 4. Kris Radlinski, 5. Martin Offiah, 6. Henry Paul, 7. Shaun Edwards

WiganlForwards:l 8. Neil Cowie, 9. Martin Hall, 10. Terry O'Connor, 11. Scott Quinnell, 12. Mick Cassidy, 13. Simon Haughton

14. Rob Smyth (not used), 15. Martin Dermott (replaced Scott Quinnell - 59th Minute)


Henry Paul 2, Va'aiga Tuigamala, Kris Radlinski

WiganlGoals:l Henry Paul 4
WiganlDrops:l Shaun Edwards 1


1. Steve Prescott, 2. Joey Hayes, 3. Scott Gibbs, 4. Paul Newlove, 5. Anthony Sullivan, 6. Karle Hammond, 7. Bobbie Goulding

StlHelenslForwards:l 8. Apollo Perelini, 9. Keiron Cunningham, 10. Ian Pickavance, 11. Chris Joynt, 12. Simon Booth, 13. Dean Busby
StlHelenslInterchanges:l 14. Andy Northey (replaced Anthony Sullivan - 47th Minute), 15. Vila Matautia (replaced Ian Pickavance - 25th Minute),
10. Ian Pickavance (returned to replace Dean Busby - 58th Minute)


Joey Hayes, Paul Newlove, Keiron Cunningham
StlHelenslGoals:l Bobbie Goulding 2


Wigan and Saints had never met in the final of this competition until now, the last ever Regal Trophy Final. The Final was held at Huddersfield's McAlpine Stadium and it was a tight opening until Va'aiga Tuigamla slipped out of a tackle to give Wigan a 6-0 lead after 15 minutes with Henry Paul converting. But on 21 minutes, good work from Steve Prescott got Joey Hayes in the right corner and but Wigan still led after the missed conversion. Saints found a second try to take the lead five minutes later with Paul Newlove scoring in the left corner but again the extras were missed, only 8-6 to Saints. That score held until half time and Wigan were gifted the lead back on 47 minutes when Scott Gibbs, having cleanly defended a kick, knocked on inexplicably trying to avoid being sacked in goal for a drop out. This produced a gift for Kris Radlinski that put Wigan back in front at 12-8 after the conversion. This was a double hammer blow for Saints because Henry Paul danced over on the next set to make it 18-8 after he kicked another conversion. The match had swung hugely from Gibbs' error and although Saints kicked a penalty to reduce the lead to 18-10, Shaun Edwards kicked a drop goal for 19-10 with 15 minutes to go. Wigan looked in control but Keiron Cunningham's try on 71 minutes brought the lead back to 19-16 and it looked like Saints had all the momentum to go on and win the game. However, Henry Paul scored his second of the match in stoppage time to ensure that didn't happen. Wigan prevailed and St Helens sacked their coach Eric Hughes following this loss.

Half Time:l

St Helens 8 Wigan 6




Russell Smith (Castleford)


Live Coverage on BBC 1 during "Grandstand"