27th February 1994: Wigan 32 Featherstone 14
Posted by cherryandwhite on October 01 2013 - 22:39

Extended News

Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match

Sunday 27th February 1994

Wigan 32 Featherstone Rovers 14
Central Park, Wigan
Silk Cut Challenge Cup Quarter Final
Kick Off: 3:00pm

Wigan Team
1.  Paul Atcheson    

Va'aiga Tuigamala

3.  Barrie-Jon Mather  T2   

Gary Connolly


Martin Offiah

6.  Frano Botica  T   G6 
7.  Shaun Edwards    
8.  Kelvin Skerrett    
9.  Martin Dermott    
10.  Andy Platt    
11.  Mick Cassidy    
12.  Andy Farrell    
13.  Sam Panapa  T   
Sub.  Billy McGinty    
Sub.  Ian Gildart    


1. Carl Gibson, 2. Ikram Butt, 3. Matt Calland, 4. Iva Ropati, 5. Owen Simpson, 6. Martin Pearson, 7. Brett Daunt, 8. Steve Molloy, 9. Richard Gunn, 10. Leo Casey, 11. Gary S. Price, 12. Gary H. Price, 13. Brendan Tuuta. Subs: Neil Roebuck.

Tries: Matt Calland, Carl Gibson, Iva Ropati
Goals: Martin Pearson 1


A quirk of the fixture list meant Featherstone were embarking on the first of two trips to Central Park within the space of four days. This first encounter was a Challenge Cup Quarter Final that was best remembered for a mass brawl that sparked in the 57th Minute which saw three leaving the field and Kelvin Skerrett's infamous "Superman" Dive which saw referee Stuart Cummings smacked in the face (see video below).

Wigan felt some early heat when Stuart Cummings allowed a Matt Calland try for Featherstone to stand despite him clearly not grounding the ball properly. Cummings then seemed to make up for it by missing a knock on in the build up to Gary Connolly's try which had followed tries from Barrie-Jon Mather and Frano Botica that contributed to a 16-4 half time lead. A second try for Mather, an interception, increased that lead to 22-4, but although Featherstone responded next with a Carl Gibson effort, Sam Panapa had put Wigan back in full control before the 57th Mintue brawl. That brawl resulted in both sides seeing a red card, Andy Platt and Steve Molloy, with Featherstone going down to 11 men with Neil Roebuck being sin binned. Very little happened during that period and although Featherstone found a try in the 75th Mintue from Iva Ropati, Wigan were already safely into the semi finals.

Half Time: 

Wigan 16 Featherstone 4




Stuart Cummings (Widnes)

Sent Off: 

Wigan 10. Andy Platt & Featherstone 8. Steve Molloy were sent off after 57 minutes for Fighting.
Featherstone 14. Neil Roebuck was also sin binned during the same incident.


1993-1994 Challenge Cup Quarter Finals

Saturday 26th February 1994
Castleford 30 Widnes 6 (Live on BBC Grandstand)

Sunday 27th February 1994
Leeds 33 Bradford Northern 10
St Helens 40 Doncaster 9
Wigan 34 Featherstone Rovers 14