25th March 1989: Wigan 13 Warrington 6
Posted by cherryandwhite on September 23 2013 - 15:10

Extended News

Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match

Easter Saturday 25th March 1989

Wigan 13 Warrington 6
Maine Road, Manchester
Silk Cut Challenge Cup Semi Final

Kick Off: 3:15pm


Wigan Team
1.  Steve Hampson      
2.  Tony Iro      
3.  Kevin Iro      
4.  Joe Lydon  T   G2   DG 
5.  Dean Bell      
6.  Shaun Edwards  T     
7.  Andy Gregory      
8.  Ian Lucas      
9.  Nicky Kiss      
10.  Adrian Shelford      
11.  Ian Potter      
12.  Andy Platt      
13.  Ellery Hanley      
Sub.  Denis Betts      
Sub.  Andy Goodway      


1. David Lyon, 2. Des Drummond, 3. Paul Cullen, 4. Paul Darbyshire, 5. Tony Thorniley, 6. John Woods, 7. Robert Turner, 8. Steve Roach, 9. Mark Roskell, 10. Les Boyd, 11. Mark Thomas, 12. Billy McGinty, 13. Mike Gregory. Subs: Basil Richards, Ronnie Duane.

Tries: (None)
Goals: John Woods 3


This Challenge Cup Semi Final was played at Maine Road in Manchester. Wigan's discipline was lacking early with John Woods kicking two penalty goals to put them 4-0 up inside eight minutes. That lead was be held all the way until the 38th Minute when Wigan scored. Dean Bell escaped a tackle attempt by Paul Cullen and was able to slip Joe Lydon in the corner for a try but the missed conversion left the score 4-4 at half time.

The game remained tight second half with the deadlock only being broken by Woods kicking a third penalty for Warrington in the 59th Minute. That put Warrington 6-4 up but Lydon kicked a penalty himself to level in the 68th Minute. The prospect of a replay was beginning to loom as the match ended the final ten minutes but it the 72nd Minute, Lydon hammered an amazing drop goal from inside his own half to put Wigan 7-6 ahead. Soon after he missed a penalty to put Wigan 9-6 up but the match was sealed in the last minute when Hanley made a half break down the right wing and chipped back inside to get Shaun Edwards in for a try. Lydon converted to end Warrington's hope and set up a final with St Helens.

Half Time:  Wigan 4 Warrington 4


Referee:  Robin Whitfield (Widnes)

1988-1989 Silk Cut Challenge Cup Semi Finals

Saturday 11th March 1989
St Helens 16 Widnes 14 (at Central Park, Wigan - BBC Grandstand)

Saturday 25th March 1989
Wigan 13 Warrington 6 (at Maine Road, Manchester - BBC Grandstand)