10th March 1985: Bradford 6 Wigan 7
Posted by cherryandwhite on January 29 2013 - 17:44

Extended News
Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match

Bradford Northern 6 Wigan 7 - Sunday 10th March 1985
Venue: Odsal Stadium, Bradford
Competition: Silk Cut Challenge Cup Quarter Final
Kick Off: 3:30pm

WiganlBacks:l 1. Shaun Edwards, 2. Colin Whitfield, 3. David Stephenson, 4. Steve Donlan, 5. Henderson Gill, 6. Brett Kenny, 7. Mike Ford
WiganlForwards:l 8. Danny Campbell, 9. Nicky Kiss, 10. Brian Case, 11. Graeme West, 12. Shaun Wane, 13. Ian Potter
WiganlSubs Used:l (None)


Henderson Gill

WiganlGoals:l Henderson Gill 1
WiganlDrops:l Mike Ford 1

BradfordlBacks:l 1. Mumby, 2. Parrish, 3. Redfearn, 4. Davies, 5. Parker, 6. Hanley, 7. Crossley
BradfordlForwards:l 8. Grayshon, 9. Noble, 10. Kellaway, 11. Josiewicz, 12. Rathbone, 13. Fleming
BradfordlSubs Used:l McGowan (replaced Noble - 32nd Minute), Stone (replaced Kellaway - 32nd Minute)



BradfordlGoals:l Parrish 1

It was a hell of a battle in this cup tie between Bradford and Wigan at Odsal. The only scoring of the first half came from a Steve Parrish penalty goal but on 32 minutes Bradford lost both Brian Noble and Bob Kellaway to injury and that harmed them later in the game. The start of second half ended up being delayed because Wigan supporters had spilled over into prohibited areas of the stadium. Odsal was being reshaped ahead of hosting the World Speedway Final later in the year and thus areas that had previously been fine to stand on were now out of bounds. It took a few minutes to get the Wigan fans behind the barriers and referee Kevin Allatt threatened to abandon the match if problems continued. The restart eventually game and within five minutes a lovely kick from Mike Ford was touched down by Henderson Gill in the left corner to put Wigan 4-2 ahead. Ford soon added a drop goal for 5-2 but Bradford would hit back on 55 minutes with Ellery Hanley doing damage down the right wing. He evaded three tackles before slipping Steve McGowan over for the try that made it 6-5 after going unconverted. Next on 64 Minutes Wigan got a penalty goal attempt after Danny Campbell was tripped by the Bradford Substitute Stone. Gill nailed the kick to put Wigan up 7-6. The last 15 minutes saw Bradford pounding the Wigan line but defence held out and Bradford missed the chance of a replay with Parrish's drop goal going wide.

Half Time:l Bradford 2 Wigan 0
Attendance:l 15,212
Referee:l Kevin Allatt

1984-1985 Silk Cut Challenge Cup Quarter Final Results

Saturday 9th March 1985
Hull 6 Widnes 6

Sunday 10th March 1985
Bradford Northern 6 Wigan 7
Castleford 58 Bramley 18
Hunslet 7 Hull Kingston Rovers 27

Wednesday 13th March 1985
Replay: Widnes 12 Hull 19