5th May 1962: Wigan 11 Huddersfield 13
Posted by cherryandwhite on December 09 2012 - 16:24

Extended News
Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match

Wigan 11 Huddersfield 13 - Saturday 5th May 1962
Venue: Central Park, Wigan
Competition: League - Championship Play Offs Semi Final (1st Place v 4th Place)
Kick Off: 7:00pm


1. Fred Griffiths, 2. Billy Boston, 3. Eric Ashton, 4. Alan Davies, 5. Frank Carlton, 6. Dave Bolton, 7. Frank Parr


8. John Barton, 9. Bill Sayer, 10. Brian McTigue, 11. Norman Cherrington, 12. Geoff Lyon, 13. Roy Evans


Frank Parr

WiganlGoals:l Fred Griffiths 4


1. Dyson, 2. Breen, 3. Booth, 4. Hayward, 5. Stocks, 6. Deighton, 7. Smales


8. Slevin, 9. Close, 10. Noble, 11. Clark, 12. Kilroy, 13. Ramsden


Close, Smales, Heywood

HuddersfieldlGoals:l Dyson 2

A month earlier Huddersfield had visited Central Park and lost 41-3, hardly an inspiring result ahead of a potential play off battle. They turned the tables here though to end Wigan's title hopes at the first play off hurdle. The Match Kicked Off at 7pm in the evening to avoid a clash with the Burnley v Tottenham FA Cup Final that was being televised by both the BBC and ITV during the afternoon. Wigan began the game "with almost arrogant confidence" and took the lead when John Barton slipped a pass to send Frank Parr over for a try under the posts. Fred Griffiths converted for 5-0. Wigan though were perhaps too arrogant in the end because their "over ambitious passing" began to lead to errors. From one such error, Huddersfield's hooker Close dived over from short range but Dyson failed to convert. Ten minutes later they then took the lead with a try from Smales after good work from Slevin. That made it 8-5 before the sides exchanged penalties for 10-7. Wigan then hit a second penalty right on half time to leave it 10-9 to Huddersfield. Seven Minutes into the Second Half, Huddersfield found a third try when Heyword scored for 13-9. On 52 minutes a Griffiths penalty reduced that lead to 13-11 but amazingly that proved to be the end of the scoring. Wigan struggled to get near to scoring for much of the remainder of the game, although Griffiths had a chance with a penalty to force a replay, but it went wide. A bitterly disappointing end to Wigan's season.

Half Time:l Wigan 9 Huddersfield 10
Attendance:l 25,000
Referee:l L.Gant