21st May 1960: Wakefield 3 Wigan 27 (Championship Final)
Posted by cherryandwhite on December 06 2012 - 03:54

Extended News
Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match

Wakefield Trinity 3 Wigan 27 - Saturday 21st May 1960
Venue: Odsal Stadium, Bradford
Competition: League - Championship Play Offs Final
Kick Off: 3:00pm


1. Fred Griffiths, 2. Frank Halliwell, 3. Billy Boston, 4. Keith Holden, 5. Syd Fenton, 6. Eric Ashton, 7. Dave Bolton


8. John Barton, 9. Bill Sayer, 10. Frank Collier, 11. Brian McTigue, 12. Geoff Lyon, 13. Roy Evans

WiganlTries:l Billy Boston 2, Eric Ashton 2, Bill Sayer
WiganlGoals:l Fred Griffiths 6


1. Gerry Round, 2. Fred Smith, 3. Alan Skene, 4. Neil Fox, 5. John Etty, 6. Ken Rollin, 7. Keith Holliday


8. Jack Wilkinson, 9. Geoff Oakes, 10. Don Vines, 11. Albert Firth, 12. Len Chamberlain, 13. Derek Turner

WakefieldlTries:l Fred Smith
WakefieldlGoals:l (None)

So Wigan who had needed a Featherstone loss to help them in to the play offs three Saturdays ago were now contesting the Championship Final against Wakefield in front of an amazing crowd of over 83,000 at Odsal in Bradford. Wakefield had won the cup final against Hull the week before so were looking to complete a league and cup double here.

It was a warm sunny day for the match and Wakefield started far better than Wigan with a try after just two minutes from Fred Smith putting them into a 3-0 lead after being sent in following a long run by Ken Rolli. Wigan responded with penalty goal from Fred Griffiths on 8 minutes for 3-2 but it had been a sloppy start by them.

However, in the 12h Minute came a major moment. Wakefield's influential Neil Fox got injured so badly he became a hobbling passenger for them on the left wing for the rest of the match. Their Stand Off Rollin also got hurt and this was helping Wigan enormously.

Wakefield began to quickly look tired from their Wembley exploits the week before and would have been delighted to go in at half time only 4-3 down, after Griffiths kicked a second penalty to give Wigan the lead, but a try scored on half time broke the game. Billy Boston was gaining great ground with Fox no longer up against him and he went sent dashing towards the line by a pass from Dave Bolton, Griffiths converting for a 9-3 lead at the break.

Wigan went further ahead on 51 minutes when Ashton collected his own chip over the top to score for a 12-3 lead. Griffiths missed the extras this time but added a penalty goal five minutes later for 14-3.

Wakefield now had no answers and Wigan pushed on to demoralise a tired Wakefield in the final quarter with further tries from Sayer and then Boston and Ashton claiming their second each of the game, completing a 27-3 triumph.

This was Wigan's ninth title success but surely the most remarkable seeing as they were so close to not even making the play offs on the final day of the season.

Scoring Pattern
2nd Minute Wakefield 03 Wigan 00 Try: Fred Smith
8th Minute Wakefield 03 Wigan 02 Penalty Goal: Fred Griffiths
22nd Minute Wakefield 03 Wigan 04 Penalty Goal: Fred Griffiths
39th Minute Wakefield 03 Wigan 07 Try: Billy Boston
39th Minute Wakefield 03 Wigan 09 Conversion: Fred Griffiths
Half Time Wakefield 03 Wigan 09
51st Minute Wakefield 03 Wigan 12 Try: Eric Ashton
56th Minute Wakefield 03 Wigan 14 Penalty Goal: Fred Griffiths
61st Minute Wakefield 03 Wigan 17 Try: Bill Sayer
61st Minute Wakefield 03 Wigan 19 Conversion: Fred Griffiths
67th Minute Wakefield 03 Wigan 22 Try: Billy Boston
67th Minute Wakefield 03 Wigan 24 Conversion: Fred Griffiths
77th Minute Wakefield 03 Wigan 27 Try: Eric Ashton
Full Time Wakefield 03 Wigan 27

Referee: Eric Clay (Rothwell, Leeds)
Attendance: 83,190
Weather: Warm Sunny Afternoon