Match Report: Hull FC 12 Wigan 48
Posted by Bilko on August 10 2015 - 22:29

Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match

Thursday 23rd July 2015
Hull FC 12 Wigan Warriors 48
KCOM Stadium, Hull
First Utility Super League 20 - Round 23 of 23

Kick Off 8:00pm


- Wigan       - Hull FC    
1 Matty Bowen  T2      32 Jordan Rankin    
2 Josh Charnley       2 Tom Lineham    
14 John Bateman  T      5 Feluti Talanoa    
3 Anthony Gelling       24 Jack Logan    
5 Joe Burgess  T      19 Steve Michaels    
6 George Williams  T      27 Jordan Abdull    
7 Matty Smith    G8    7 Marc Sneyd    G2 
8 Dom Crosby  T      8 Micky Paea    
9 Michael McIlorum       9 Danny Houghton    

Ben Flower


Liam Watts

11 Joel Tomkins       21 Richard Whiting  T   
12 Liam Farrell       12 Mark Minichiello    
13 Sean O'Loughlin  T      13 Joe Westerman  T   
16 Sam Powell  T      15 Chris Green    
17 Tony Clubb       16 Jordan Thompson    
24 Taulima Tautai       17 Dean Hadley    
28 Ryan Sutton       22 Josh Bowden    


Wigan took control of the game early on and were 12-0 up after 15 minutes thanks to tries from Joe Burgess and John Bateman. FC tried to fightback but Wigan were just too good and scored further first-half tries from Sam Powell and George Williams.

The second-half went a similar way to the first with Wigan again comfortably outplaying and outscoring the home side. Matty Bowen crossed the tryline twice with Sean O’Loughlin and Dom Crosby also getting on the scoreboard.

Shaun Wane brought in Matty Bowen for Ryan Hampshire in the full-back position. Youngsters Sam Powell and Ryan Sutton also came in on the bench replacing Lee Mossop and Larne Patrick.

This Wigan team love a wide pitch and they took full advantage of it early doors when Anthony Gelling attracted the attention of both Fetuli Talanoa and Tom Lineham to pass to Joe Burgess who raced through and scored from 70 metres out. Birthday boy Matty Smith added the two and Wigan led 6-0 in as many minutes.

The Cherry and Whites soon doubled their lead with a truly fantastic piece of skill. Matty Smith’s half-break allowed George Williams to move within touching distance of the Hull line. From the play the ball Smith lofted the ball to the right to find Josh Charnley who passed the ball mid-air to John Bateman to dive over the line. Smith with the conversion made it 12-0 to Wigan.

On top early doors, Wigan just needed to stay composed. The referee however found reason to penalise the Warriors on two occasions, once for interference at the play the ball then for dragging the Hull player into touch. The penalties gifted FC possession inside the Wigan half and they found a way over as Richard Whiting hit a great line to score his side’s first of the night. Marc Sneyd converted to make it Hull 6-12 Wigan.

No sooner had the Warriors had their lead halved they were back to 12. A good set pushed Wigan up field before Matty Bowen’s kick was flicked on by Gelling for Sam Powell to collect and score under the posts. Hull FC felt Powell was offside but the video referee had a look and the try stood. Smith with the two, Wigan 18-6 up after 25.

A lively encounter continued and FC had a near miss in the left corner, Jack Logan went over the whitewash but the pass from Jordan Rankin was correctly called forward by Ben Thaler.

The home fans felt aggrieved with the call and were soon to feel even worse when Joe Westerman’s sloppy pass in the middle of the park found nobody, George Williams picked up the pieces and raced 40 metres to score his 14th try on his 50th appearance for the Warriors. Smith goaled again and Wigan had a healthy 24-6 lead.

The Warriors won a penalty on the stroke of half-time near the half-way line. Smith opted to go for the difficult penalty goal and missed with the final kick of the half. Shaun Wane would certainly go in the happier of the two coaches.

In a carbon copy of the first-half, Wigan scored the first try of the half in the sixth minute of the half. Having won a penalty right on the Hull line for an offside offence, Wigan threw the ball around, Sam Powell found Joel Tomkins who passed back inside to find Matty Bowen to fly over. Matty Smith added his fifth successful conversion of the night and Wigan led 30-6.

The home side tried to find a way back into the game but kept making errors and throwing chances away.

Wigan on the other hand looked lethal whenever they entered the Hull half of the field and Sean O’Loughlin was next to add his name to the list of try scorers as he crashed over in the 56th minute. Another goal from Smith made it Hull FC 6-36 Wigan.

Desperate to give their fans something to cheer about the Black and Whites kept going and their efforts were rewarded when Joe Westerman managed to ground the ball over the line despite Wigan’s best efforts. Sneyd added the conversion to make it 36-12 to Wigan.

The try seemed to wake Wigan up a little though and from nothing Matty Bowen managed to escape a few would-be defenders and dart over the line from 10 metres out to score his second of the game. Smith with another two-pointer, Wigan 42-12 up.

Dom Crosby added a try in the dying stages to put the seal on a fine Wigan performance, exactly what was required ahead of the Super 8s.

05mins:22 Hull FC 00 Wigan 04 Try: Joe Burgess
Hull FC 00 Wigan 06 Conversion: Matty Smith (1/1)
14mins:52 Hull FC 00 Wigan 10 Try: John Bateman
Hull FC 00 Wigan 12 Conversion: Matty Smith (2/2)
19mins:41 Hull FC 04 Wigan 12 Try: Richard Whiting
Hull FC 06 Wigan 12 Conversion: Marc Sneyd (1/1)
23mins:22 Hull FC 06 Wigan 16 Try: Sam Powell
Hull FC 06 Wigan 18 Conversion: Matty Smith (3/3)
36mins:25 Hull FC 06 Wigan 22 Try: George Williams
Hull FC 06 Wigan 24 Conversion: Matty Smith (4/4)
40mins:00 Hull FC 06 Wigan 24 Missed Penalty: Matty Smith (4/5)
Half Time Hull FC 06 Wigan Warriors 24
49mins:59 Hull FC 06 Wigan 28 Try: Matty Bowen
Hull FC 06 Wigan 30 Conversion: Matty Smith (5/6)
55mins:22 Hull FC 06 Wigan 34 Try: Sean O'Loughlin
Hull FC 06 Wigan 36 Conversion: Matty Smith (6/7)
66mins:22 Hull FC 10 Wigan 36 Try: Joe Westerman
Hull FC 12 Wigan 36 Conversion: Marc Sneyd (2/2)
70mins:32 Hull FC 12 Wigan 40 Try: Matty Bowen (2)
Hull FC 12 Wigan 42 Conversion: Matty Smith (7/8)
77mins:23 Hull FC 12 Wigan 46 Try: Dom Crosby
Hull FC 12 Wigan 48 Conversion: Matty Smith (8/9)
Full Time Hull FC 12 Wigan Warriors 48

Ben Thaler



First Utility Super League 20 - Round 23 Results
Thu 23 July Hull FC 12 Wigan Warriors 48 10,787
Fri 24 July St Helens 52 Hull Kingston Rovers 12 10,781
Sun 26 July Huddersfield Giants 34 Wakefield Wildcats 24 4,839
Sun 26 July Leeds Rhinos 36 Catalan Dragons 22 15,534
Sun 26 July Widnes Vikings 21 Salford Red Devils 20 5,479
Sun 26 July Castleford Tigers 6 Warrington Wolves 44 7,239

First Utility Super League 20 Table - After This Round
- Team P W D L F A Diff Pts
1 Leeds Rhinos 23 16 1 6 758 477 +281 33
2 St Helens 23 16 0 7 598 436 +162 32
3 Wigan Warriors 23 15 1 7 589 413 +176 31
4 Huddersfield Giants 23 13 2 8 538 394 +144 28
5 Castleford Tigers 23 13 0 10 547 505 +42 26
6 Warrington Wolves 23 12 0 11 552 456 +96 24
7 Hull FC 23 11 0 12 454 484 -32 22
8 Catalan Dragons 23 9 2 12 561 574 -13 20

Top 8 Qualify for "Super 8s" after Round 23 / Top 4 Qualify for Play Offs

9 Widnes Vikings 23 9 1 13 518 565 -47 19
10 Hull Kingston Rovers 23 9 0 14 534 646 -112 18
11 Salford Red Devils 23 8 1 14 447 617 -170 17
12 Wakefield Wildcats 23 3 0 20 402 929 -527 6