24th October 1953: St Helens 16 Wigan 8 (Lancashire Cup Final)
Posted by cherryandwhite on November 30 2012 - 17:36
Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match - Click: Last Derby - Click: Next Derby

St Helens 16 Wigan 8 - Saturday 24th October 1953
Venue: Station Road, Swinton
Competition: Lancashire Cup Final
Kick Off: 3:00pm


1. Jack Cunliffe, 2. Brian Nordgren, 3. Jack Broome, 4. Ernie Ashcroft, 5. Ronnie Hurst, 6. Jack Fleming, 7. Johnny Alty


8. Ken Gee, 9. Ronnie Mather, 10. Nat Silcock, 11. Frank Collier, 12. Tommy Horrocks, 13. Harry Street

WiganlTries:l Harry Street, Jack Fleming
WiganlGoals:l Ken Gee 1

St HelenslBacks:l 1. Glyn Moses, 2. Steve Llewellyn, 3. Duggie Greenall, 4. Don Gullick, 5. Stan McCormick, 6. Peter Metcalfe, 7. Jimmy Honey
St HelenslForwards:l

8. Alan Prescott, 9. Reg Blakemore, 10. George Parr, 11. George Parsons, 12. Billy Bretherton, 13. Vince Karalius

St HelenslTries:l Jimmy Honey, Glyn Moses
St HelenslGoals:l Peter Metcalfe 5

Wigan were aiming to win the Lancashire Cup for a seventh season in a row against a Saints side that hadn't won the trophy since 1926. Wigan had been much the better side first half with the 8-4 half time lead being quite flattering to Saints. Ken Gee had missed two penalty goals in the opening seven minutes before Saints took the lead with a penalty from Peter Metcalfe. Then Wigan found a try from Harry Street but Frank Collier had taken over the goal kicking and he too missed the goal. Then a break from Jack Fleming saw him finish for a try after a one-two combination with Brian Nordgren. Gee went back on kicking this time and converted for 8-2. With the missed kicks it could have been 14-2 but they got a slap in the face when Jonny Alty was penalised for incorrect play the ball and Metcalfe reduced that lead to 8-4. Into the second half and Wigan's goal kick woes continued. Gee missed two long range kicks and Collier a simple effort in the ten minutes after half time that all combined could of made it 20-4 and cruising instead of the 8-4 score it was. All those misses proved mightily costly in the end because Saints fought back. After a Metcalfe penalty for 8-6, Jimmy Honey scored a try that gave Saints an 11-8 lead after the conversion. Then Glyn Moses collected a cross field kick from Steve Llewellyn and a further conversion had made it 16-8. If ever the importance of goal kicking was highlighted, this final was it!

Half Time:l St Helens 4 Wigan 8
Referee:l M.Coates (Leeds)
Attendance:l 42,793
Gate Reciepts:l 6,780