Home Page · Site Forum · rugbyleagueontv.co.uk - RL TV Listings & RL Audio Match Commentary · DVD Swaps · Facebook Page · Twitter Thursday, March 04, 2021
2020 Season
2020 First Team
2020 Reserves
2020 Under 18s
2020 Under 16s
2020 Women
Wigan RL History Pages
Historical Results at a Glance
Club Honours & Records
Wigan RL A to Z Player List
Wigan RL Heritage Numbers
Wigan RL Timeline
Wigan RL "Top" Timeline
Wigan v Saints - Derby Archive
Challenge Cup Record
League Cup Record
Lancashire Cup Record
All Time Head to Head Records
All Time Player Records
Central Park
The DW Stadium
Co-Operative Stadium, Orrell
Super League Only Stats
All Time SL Table
Classic Matches
Record Victory
8 in a Row!
Coaching Register
Average Attendances
Great Britain Register
Home Nation Register
Wigan - Miscellany
Playing Kit Archive
Two Teams in Wigan!
Wigan Highfield
Springfield Borough
29th April 1989: St Helens 0 Wigan 27 (Challenge Cup Final)
Posted by cherryandwhite on September 23 2013 - 19:18

Click: Last Match - Click: Next Match

Saturday 29th April 1989

St Helens 0 Wigan 27
Wembley Stadium, London
Silk Cut Challenge Cup Final

Kick Off: 3:00pm


Wigan Team
1.  Steve Hampson  T     
2.  Tony Iro      
3.  Kevin Iro  T2     
4.  Dean Bell      
5.  Joe Lydon    G3   
6.  Shaun Edwards      
7.  Andy Gregory  T     DG 
8.  Ian Lucas      
9.  Nicky Kiss      
10.  Adrian Shelford      
11.  Andy Platt      
12.  Ian Potter      
13.  Ellery Hanley  T     
Sub.  Denis Betts      
Sub.  Andy Goodway      

St Helens 

1. Gary Connolly, 2. Michael O'Connor, 3. Phil Veivers, 4. Paul Loughlin, 5. Les Quirk, 6. Shane Cooper, 7. Neil Holding, 8. Tony Burke, 9. Paul Groves, 10. Paul Forber, 11. Bernard Dwyer, 12. Roy Haggerty, 13. Paul Vautin. Sub: Darren Bloor, Stuart Evans.

Tries: (None)
Goals:  (None)


Without a doubt, this was Wigan's sweetest Challenge Cup triumph. I don't even have to tell you what the end result result was, do I? Wigan had already won the Lancashire Cup and the John Player Trophy before starting the road to Wembley but the league would again be lost to Widnes.

This Challenge Cup campaign started at Tattersfield, the home of Doncaster. They may have been a Division Two side but they put up a creditable performance in losing 38-6. Joe Lydon claimed four tries with Denis Betts, Tony Iro and Shaun Edwards also crossing the whitewash.

Round 2 saw us given an away trip to play Bradford at Odsal. Tough game, tough conditions, but Wigan came home with a 17-4 win. Shaun Edwards, Ged Byrne and Nicky Kiss with the tries that added to a drop goal from Joe Lydon.

The Quarter Final draw gave Wigan an away trip to Oldham. The BBC quickly picked up this contest to televised on "Grandstand" as they recalled how Oldham had denied Wigan a chance of a Grand Slam in knocking them out of the cup two years earlier. This was a similarly tough contest but Wigan prevailed this time with tries from Edwards and Kevin Iro giving them a 12-4 win.

Maine Road, the then home of Manchester City, was the venue for a Semi Final clash which was an absolute classic against Warrington. It was a very defensive game but Wigan had managed to cancel out three penalty goals from John Woods with a try just before half time from Joe Lydon. Ian Potter had offloaded in the middle of the park to Andy Gregory who quickly swung it out wide to Dean Bell. He went charging for the line and got the pass away to send Lydon over in the corner, to which he converted.

The score remained at 6-6 for most of the second half and neither side was making much edgeway against strong defences. With 7 minutes left another set of six had seen the referee call the last tackle, with Shaun Edwards trapped a metre inside the opposition half. Nicky Kiss took the play the ball and passed to Lydon who everyone expected to just clearance kick away. Instead Lydon unleashed a drop goal attempt from 57 metres which hit the black dot perfectly. Amazingly despite the distance it was well over the cross bar.

That put Wigan 7-6 ahead with 6 minutes to go and they then sealed the game with a magnificent late try. Gregory's pass to Ellery Hanley was a bit high but he plucked it out of the air, broke clear down the right and with the sideline beckoning he cross kicked back inside towards the post. The ball just bounced perfectly for Shaun Edwards to seal a Wembley clash with St Helens who two weeks earlier had also gained a late victory over Widnes. Lydon converted to make the final score 13-6, which in truth flattered Wigan but who cared?  The biggest semi final gate in twenty years (26,523) had witnessed a brilliant cup tie.

In the other semi, Saints had knocked out eventual league champions Widnes so must have fancied their chances in the final. Contrast this to Wigan who lost both their games prior to the big day. One was a title decider against Widnes and the other was actually a home Premiership match against Saints, which they won 4-2 at Central Park.

So Wigan went in to Wembley on the back of disappointment of losing the league and also being knocked out the Premiership. Not exactly form to make you confident. But rather than getting a Saints side really fancying their chances, we got a Saints side that really froze on the day and failed to turn up.

The writing was on the wall for Saints in the first two minutes. Gary Connolly would go on to be a superb servant of the Wigan side but in those days he was a full back at Saints and playing in his first cup final aged just 17. Wigan peppered him from the off and forced him to concede a drop out. From that, Ellery Hanley went right, passed to Kevin Iro who charged down the right wing and burst through poor tackle attempts from first Paul Loughlin then young Connolly. "That was rank bad tackling" said Ray French on the BBC commentary. Well I think he said rank anyway, I'm not sure? Lydon missed the extras - 4-0.

Amusement for Wigan fans continued moments later with the image of Alex Murphy barking like a dog on the Saints bench. In fairness Dean Bell had nailed Les Quirk with a dirty high tackle that arguably would have seen a red card today in this day and age of video referee interference. You don't need to be a lip reader, looking back at the BBC coverage, to tell Murphy shouted "Get him off!!!!!! The dirty bastard!!!!!!" from the bench. I'm chuckling away re-watching this moment, let me tell you! Referee Ray Tennant took no action in the end.

The next score came on 19 minutes in the shape of a penalty goal from Lydon after Paul Groves had been done for lying on Shaun Edwards. It was 45 metres out but Lydon hit it sweet as a nut.

Then on 26 minutes Wigan claimed their second try. Going right, Edwards hit Hanley on the burst and he hit through a gap between Paul Vautin and Paul Forber before shrugging off Phil Veivers to score a magnificent try, Saints were guilty of going far to high on him. Lydon converted to make it 12-0.

Saints really hadn't even begun to play. Most times they got the ball, they knocked it on. It was comfortable for Wigan and it really didn't get any better for the enemy in the second half either, because Wigan took full control of the game early in the second half.

First Andy Gregory slotted a simple drop goal from 12 metres on 44 minutes then soon after Kevin Iro claimed his second try. From a scrum on the left wing, Wigan just swung it right. Hanley, Edwards, Andy Platt, Hampson, and Bell all got a touch before Kevin Iro beat a poor tackle attempt from Connolly to score in the corner.

Wigan now had a 17-0 lead and although Saints tried their best, they just had no answers to the Wigan defence. They had one just real attack on our line before we scored again on 65 minutes. Edwards broke clear from half way with a beautiful step and it looked like he'd go all the way after beating Connolly, who was getting a harsh lesson, at full back. Paul Forber managed to stop him but Edwards just offloaded to send the supporting Gregory over by the posts. Lydon converted to make it 23-0.

This was such a one sided contest, the only thing in doubt in the final 14 minutes or so was whether Saints could avoid being nilled. They couldn't and Wigan ended up getting a fitting cherry and top of the cake try late on. It came for Steve Hampson who was playing his first cup final having been cruelly denied a spot in Wigan's 1984, 1985 and 1988 finals due to injury. Lydon sent him over in the left corner to a huge cheer. Lydon didn't convert but who cared. Wigan had nilled the enemy at Wembley! They still haven't lived this one down on the other side of the Billinge lump!

Half Time:  St Helens 0 Wigan 12




Referee:  Ray Tennant (Castleford)
Lance Todd:  Ellery Hanley (Wigan)

No Comments have been Posted.
Post Comment
Please Login to Post a Comment.
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.
Donate to Website

If you appreciate the efforts made on this site and would like to see them continue, donations are welcome to cover the increased running costs of this website. Cheers.

View a Previous Season.....

A to Z Player List


Remember Me

Lost Password?

Copyright - Cherryandwhite.co.uk 2002-2020
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. Some articles and pictures on this website have been recovered from various sources for archive purposes. If any material on this website is subject to copyright or incorrect in any way please contact us bilkowigan@googlemail.com so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.
RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, the RLSA (Rugby League Supporters Association) or the 100% League Network are not responsible for the content of its sub-sites, please email the author of this sub-site if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Email RLFANS.COM's owners admins@rlfans.com if further assistance is required.

©1999-2020 RLFANS.COM